Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve Delivery?


Yesterday, it hit me that I will have 7 people for Christmas Eve dinner and not 6. I think I forgot to count myself.
This was quite a shock. I had washed 6 napkins.
So, now what? The dining table is too small. It has no leaves. We bought it right before we got married and it's been holding court in the dining room since we moved here for lack of any other place to put it or anything to put in its place.
This is not due to a lack of effort. Not a lot of effort, mind you, but I can never decide what I want. Provincial? Stuffy. Country? Casual. Colonial? Too George Washington-y.
I tromped to the basement for my normal "the table is too small solution"- a card table tacked on the end. I was completely non-plussed. This looked awful and I was so totally over the shabby chic. Now what? It's 2 days before Christmas. Tables are big and something that large won't fit in my VW. Nor will the chairs. Sigh. It would be pretty mean to make one of the boys sit in the kitchen alone just to cut out a chair.
I drove to a furniture store and walked in- sullen. I found exactly what I wanted. More depression, why didn't I do this in April? "So," I say sweetly, "any chance this could be delivered tomorrow?" YES!
So, tonight may you enjoy good food at a table that is big enough for all the people that you can cram around it. Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Ha, at our families house, there are always 2 tables and even though everyone is grown up...we still call one the kids table...Merry Christmas cheer (the beverage kind) to you and yours...