Sunday, December 13, 2009

A Contained Conspiracy


I have a cabinet.


I have 5000 plastic containers.


I have 4999 lids and never the lid I seek. Never. Dang.


Tonight, I whipped up some spaghetti with leftover beef. This, in and of itself, is almost miraculous. I never use leftovers. But, this was leftover Wagyu beef and I would have been struck down by the leftover gods had I let it go to waste.


Shortly after serving everyone up and scarfing it down, we surveyed the leftovers. By careful viewing of the approximate volume of food left in the pot, I found the perfect container- A beautiful little Rubbermaid #2. Hmmm, where's the lid?


No lid. Sheesh. I got down on my hands and knees. Then I sat Indian style on the floor and rooted around like one of those truffle seeking pigs in the Italian forest. No lid. Really.


Kid: I hide those in my room you know.

Me: WHAT?

Kid: I'm kidding.


I emptied the contents of the entire cabinet onto the kitchen floor. There was not a single Rubbermaid #2 lid. This is a conspiracy.


Kid: My friends come over and take the lids.

Me: Seriously. You're just rubbing this in.


I don't get it. The lids are like socks except I'm fairly certain I don't have container lids static clinging to my pants.


2 comments:

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

try ziploc freezer bags...they don't need lids, HaHaMeow

Unknown said...

Or, I could just eliminate leftovers completely by getting a pig!

I did threaten to dump the spaghettin into a ziploc bag but Tim solved the problem with Saran Wrap. As usual, he thought I was crazy.